I've been meaning to come up with something, a prop or a weapon to write supporters names on, and I finally took the time to sit down and really think about it. I thought, why stop at one piece? Why not make a whole cosplay based on the people who support me? So that's where this design came in. Lightly inspired by World of Warcraft and Diablo, I created this Twitch Subscriber armor. However, it won't just be for people who subscribe on Twitch, Patrons will get their names on this as well.
I started by using Evil Ted Smith's forearm armor template. (You can find it here: https://eviltedsmith.com/shop/arm-pattern/) Because I have an excess of foam floor mats, thats the type of foam I used for this which is about 8-9mm thick? Unfortunetly it's a little too big for my arm, and I was too lazy to resize it, so the inside I'm just going to pad with foam for a tighter fit. Better too big than too small, amirite? ;) I connected the two foam pieces together with Barge contact cement, and my seams were hella ugly. To kinda help, I used Kwikseal to help fill in the cracks.
I used the sanding bit on my dremel to smooth out the edges of the armor.
Home Depot had the perfect "Twitch Purple" colored spray paint.
Just for this project (and for any future projects) I made a ghetto spray paint box so I can spray paint full sides of objects like this, and bring the box inside my garage if needed when it rains. Previously, I had the armor pieces flat on a piece of egg crate ceiling and while that worked ok, It took double the time to do both sides. This is much more effective, and is literally just made out of card board, duct tape and wire coat hanger. Lightly spraying on layers of white Plastidip to the foam as my primer. The fan helped the paint dry faster.
Final layer of plastidip before starting the base color.
Base color sprayed! It is indeed a good Twitch purple.
I like hand painting my own details with acrylics. I mixed a purple I had with a tiny amount of black to add shadows, and purple mixed with a tiny bit of white for highlights in the middle. It gives it more of a 3D effect instead of looking so flat.
Added the trim! The trim I just made out of 2mm craft foam traced around the edge of the gauntlet. Primed with white plastidip, sprayed with one layer of white spray paint just to be safe. Attached to the gauntlet with Barge contact cement.
Another view of the completed gauntlet, on my arm.
Final step, clear coat! I used a satin finish for this piece because I wanted it to be shinny but I find that gloss finish can look a bit too shinny.